Friday, June 15, 2007

John Wilson

"They are not felt, while we read, as declarations published to the world,--but almost as secrets whispered to chosen ears."
(Wilson, pg 367, from A Review of Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage)

Wilson's review gives much reason for deep thought. I am unsure whether to feel inadequate and incapable or in need of serious devotion. I want to be everything that he describes and it is almost annoying that he makes it feel impossible for some.

"...the words seem to pass by others like air, and to find their way to the hearts for whom they were intended,--kindred and sympathizing spirits, who discern and own that secret language, of which the privacy is not violated, though spoken in hearing of the uninitiated,--because it is not understood." (pg 367)

His words are arrogant, but inspiring. I understand his point from a writer's view, but I am sullen as a reader. I would like to think of myself as a member of the able group, but I certainly don't understand every poem we have read. I would like to think instead that this applies individually as opposed to the entire collective of poetry. I would find this true of my reading of Blake. I just feel like I get him. I do not feel any connection to Coleridge though. From a writer's view, it makes perfect sense. Commercially, understanding is usually a good thing, but it can be bad as well. Underlying truths could be devastating, but make poetry what it is for some, a vent. Writing is often a therapeutic necessity for a person. Things can be disguised in words that can never be spoken, but must be released.

"...rather than speak, face to face, with any one human being on earth, he would perish in his misery."

This is what Wilson said of a great poet. I think that might mean that honesty is what makes a poet great. I prefer to hear a poets deepest feelings when I read their words instead of something just simple to understand. I think that this is by definition what separates poetry from prose. I chose to do a blog on Wilson because, although short, his review actually made me think about poetry as deeply as any poem we have read.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Valerie,

Very good example of metacriticism here--a critique of a critic, and a close reading of a reviewer. I am impressed by how much you got from Wilson's review of Byron; while I am glad you opened up his comments and tested them against your reactions to several authors we have been reading, I am curious whether you think they apply to the target of his critique: Byron.

LaDonna said...

i REALLY enjoyed your posting "His words are arrogant, but inspiring. I understand his point from a writer's view, but I am sullen as a reader"

Great job

LaDonna said...

i REALLY enjoyed your posting "His words are arrogant, but inspiring. I understand his point from a writer's view, but I am sullen as a reader"

Great job