Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oscar Wilde

"The moment Art surrenders its imaginative medium it surrenders everything."
(Wilde, pg 845, from The Decay of Lying)

First, I want to say, and I will reiterate, that I love Oscar Wilde. This simple sentence says so much to me about writing. I have always considered the greatest ability of a fiction writer is in his/her ability to lie. Lying is the basis of story-telling. When I was younger and got in trouble for telling a lie, my grandmother didn't call me a liar. She told me to stop telling stories. But making stuff up (fiction/make-believe/pretend) to me was entertaining as it is to the imagination of most children. Thankfully, some people, like Wilde, have the ability to develop those lies into more clever stories. After all, "lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, is the proper aim of Art (pg 846)." I had difficulty understanding Wilde's intentions in the first few pages of Vivian's dialogue. When he says, "A great artist invents a type, and Life tries to copy it," I pictured it all with ease. Each fad and every time period has some significance that most individuals end up wanting. For the longest time, our art copied the French. Even in the beginnings of our intended independent America, we copied the Europeans. The grass is always greener on the other side. Speaking of grass, landscapes even copy each other. If xeriscaping was suddenly huge in the most popular places, everybody would rip out their grass and flowers and praise the dirt and rocks. Even Thoreau agreed with Wilde. His intention at Walden Pond was to find simplicity when everybody else was seeking to copy Europian luxuries.

"The highest art rejects the burden of the human spirit, and gains more from a new medium or a fresh material than she does from any enthusiasm for art, or from any lofty passion, or from any great awakening of human consciousness."
(pg 842)

When I first read this, I disagreed. I thought about all of the poets we have read and I wanted to believe differently. Wilde is most definitely onto something here though. Are you more likely to get your true impressions from a painting if someone is sitting next to you, judging you? Or are you more honest with your impressions on your own, when nobody has to know? I can look at a Dali and think it is eccentrically beautiful, but sometimes I see one and think that it is horrendous. Wilde is saying that it doesn't always have to be about a hidden meaning. It can be all about the aestheticism, the first reaction, or the way it makes you feel without delving into the artist's personal life. Sometimes you feel like a comedy, sometimes a tragedy, sometimes you don't want any hidden messages. I met a lady who is about 65 years young and used to teach at Mercer. (I met her in a hair salon in FL and I don't know her name.) I was ear-hustling her conversation about movies. She was really upset that her friend wanted to see Stomp the Yard. She said that she was sick of these movies with morals. I will never forget her shouting, "I wanna see god-damned Snakes on a Plane." I laughed, but now I get her point. She only wanted to be entertained. Clearly, as one of our wonderful Mercer professors, she has learned enough about morals!

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.
Books are well written, or badly written."
(pg 846, Dorian Gray)

I enjoyed everything that the book had to offer from Mr. Wilde. The Importance of Being Earnest is possibly the most clever thing that I have ever read. It even made me rethink Shakespeare as my first choice. I will be reading everything Oscar Wilde in the near future as this is 100% perfection along with his Aphorisms and I too declare his genius.

5 comments:

keeholl said...

I think you did an awesome job of interptreting Wilde's poem. I feel thatin order to a true and honest impression,that person should be on their own(in private), or thinks that know one knows so that they don't feel that they are being judged.

kyle mcnease said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kyle mcnease said...

(having some posting difficulties so forgive me)

Valerie,

yet another superb piece of writing! Since I do not see a post on Mill, I will take this opportunity to respond to a comment you posted on my post about Mill (did I use post enough?). Your quote is "What if your husband was a complete idiot and he had talk for you?"

Now, if I were to marry a man (and I don't know why I would because I am not even sure why women marry us men) I would definitely look for the "soft-spoken" or better yet...the "not-spoken" type! Your point is well taken, though. I cannot imagine what that must have felt like to be voices crying out in the wilderness--only to find that the wilderness was the crowded street that I lived on and the people who should have cared the most about what I expressed...seemed to give it little attention or no attention at all. I have a theory on why there are not more females in leadership positions world-wide. It follows like this: if females took over control of everything...you would probably solve most of the world issues during your first terms of election. there would be little to fight over and that whole world hunger thing would probably be dealt with rather quickly? Where, then, would we find the time for war and hate...for power and struggle? It is a theory??? I just think women would look back on their past and try to make sure similar atrocities are not propigated in the future. Think of the advertisements for re-election years...(female leader speaking over telivision waves) "what makes me the right candidate?"well, in conjunction with other female leaders, we did away with world hunger and contaminated water supplies. the world economy is booming and this year crime reached a global low." Madame President, how were you able to accomplish such great things in so small a window of power? "We isolated the gene that controls speech in men and removed it!"

It is a working theory and still needs some work, but it suffices me for the moment :)

-kyle

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! I too enjoyed Oscar Wilde very much! I loved his comedic pieces and while reading his work you could see his flamboyant personality shining through.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Valerie,

Well-written and well-thought out appreciation and commentary on Wilde! Very good connections and associations in this post, demonstrating your engagement with the readings. I am glad you enjoyed Wilde so much.